Friday, May 06, 2005

My Opiate, Food

I write a lot about food. I can't help it, it's my obsession. Part of this obsession is driven by an opiate-like effect that good food, and the eating of, has on my psyche. I get giddy after a good meal. Not in the giggle sense, more in a light-headed, contented sense. I reflexively (not that I've been trained or anything) visualize my cells as tiny Pacmen1 chomping on nutrients and swelling with health. Silly? I'd have thought so years ago. But after reading about the health benefits of this kind of visualization2, effects that kick in independent of the meal, I think I'll stick with it. There's nothing like a good placebo effect to underwrite longevity.

~~~~~~

1 Photo of a hot air balloon moving across the path of the moon thanks to NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day.

2 Davidson RJ, Kabat-Zinn J, Schumacher J, et al. Alterations in brain and immune function produced by mindfulness meditation. Psychosomatic Medicine: 2003, 65(4); 564-570.

No comments: