Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sprouted Almonds

An almond is a seed.

So are Brazil nuts, cashews, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, and pine nuts.

Wheat berries, corn kernels, oat groats, rice, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth are also seeds. Sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, flax, poppy, fenugreek ... seeds. Lentils are seeds. Peanuts are seeds. Beans ... kidney, pinto, soy, mung, adzuki ... more seeds. Fresh peas and green beans are seeds.

Seeds sprout. So I thought I'd soak some almonds in water. Yes, indeedy, they sprouted.

I soaked my sprouts with salt and spices and set them up on a rack in my dehydrator (shown) at about 140ºF for a day. Talk about crispy nuts.

Did man evolve to eat seeds?
________
Photo: Homegrown

4 comments:

Occasional Popcorn Eater said...

Hi,
I really like your almond picture- may I ask where you got it?
Also, how many hours did you sprout your almonds for?

Best,
S.

Bix said...

Hi sophie. I took that photo. I can't remember exactly, but I think I sprouted them for 2 days. I just put some into a bowl with water and left them on the counter. I had to change the water a few times.

Anonymous said...

Your observations on seeds-as-food are interesting. I have learned to eat a lot of seeds too! They are grrrrreat food - they are "alive" and have the good oils in them.

What I mostly do now, what I learned since I got dentures but it is good for anyone, is that sunflower seeds can be "blenderd" [put in a blender] and they make a good FLOUR.

Flower, Flour!! I use the sunflower flour, and flaxseed ground up too, in special pancakes that only use one spoon of regular pancake mix, which should be avoided because it is mostly carbs and no good oils.

Enjoy!

Bix said...

I don't have a dehydrator anymore. I'd just roast these as I do other nuts ... 320 degrees F for about 12 minutes, longer if they are wet.