Monday, August 20, 2007

What Diet Is That?

A few more observations on my continuing experiment with a lower-carbohydrate diet:
  1. I'm not a vegetarian but I think this diet would be difficult for vegetarians to follow. Dr. Atkins claims that vegetarians, but not vegans, can follow it.
  2. I've been eating more meat. My food bills are higher because of it.
  3. I've been spending even more time cooking than I usually do.
  4. The above 3 points lead me to think that eating an Atkins-like diet requires more time, expertise, money, and (assuming one reason vegetarians chose to be vegetarians is to reduce the damage factory farming has on the environment) perhaps a shifting of social priorities, than, say, eating a bowl of cereal or pasta.
I'm still thinking over that last point. You might say that any diet, any way of eating, requires similar resources.

What Is The Optimum Diet?

Barbara made a good point in comments:
"When you think about it, the human race survived for a very long time (with healthy bones and teeth supposedly) before grains and sugar were introduced to the diet mix."
It's true, we'd be foolish not to consider how we evolved to eat. So, I'm left trying to find a diet that:
  1. Is best suited to a contemporary human's physiology.
  2. Can sustain the world's ballooning population. (Dr. Cordain, of Paleolithic Diet fame, claims: "Without cereal grains, there would be massive starvation of unprecedented proportion on the planet.")
  3. Has the least negative impact on the environment.
What diet is that?

For sure, it's not this:



________

Photos: Homegrown. The cereal aisle at my local food market.

No comments: