Thursday, June 21, 2007

Really Raw® Honey

And really good honey. I don't often write about brands, but this brand stands out.

It's an unprocessed honey, more solid at room temperature than commercial honey like Golden Blossom.

It's advertised as:
  • Being free from pesticides and fertilizers.
  • Never being heated, strained or filtered.
  • Containing the pollen, propolis, honeycomb, and live enzymes that the bees put in.
I'll admit, the third item in this list took a little getting used to. The particulate matter, "cappings" the folks at Really Raw call it, floats in tea and crunches when it meets tooth. These cappings rise to the top and form a layer of honeycomb crunch about 1/16 inch thick over the honey (see photo below). Apparently, they became so prized that "Really Raw Honey Cappings are now available by the jar and can be chewed, just like chewing gum, for a sweetly delicious way to enjoy and ingest the goodness the bees put in." I'm not there yet.

Another reason I like Really Raw® Honey - it started as a small family business and continues to support small family beekeeping operations.

I didn't go out of my way to purchase it. This 8 oz. jar was on the shelf of a local grocery store (Wegman's) for $5.99. (I've had other raw organic honey that didn't taste this good and was almost double the price.) If you'd like to try it, it's available from their website at www.reallyrawhoney.com - free shipping.
________

I probably wouldn't have written this post were it not for the following two personal experiences. I've used this honey in tea for years, but I never put it on my body...

A few weeks ago, after combing research that culminated in my post Honey For Wound Healing, I rubbed some Really Raw on a really raw abrasion I had that was taking a long time to heal. It was a sticky mess. I stuck with it. The wound closed up overnight and was a dull pink memory in another day.

Still not convinced, I tried it again. This time I used it on a facial rash I typically get in the Spring from allergies. I tapped on less than 1/8 teaspoon, then spread it with warm water. Fortunately, I didn't have to leave the house for a few hours because I had a nice case of shiny cheeks. That afternoon, honey washed off by then, my inflammation was noticeably reduced. The next day my complexion was so clear it invited unsolicited kudos from my husband.

These testimonials have nothing to do with science. For all I know, there could have been a placebo effect working. Something was working. So, even though I'm reluctant to discuss personal matters, I wanted to share this. You're welcome to comment with your own personal experiences.
________
Photos: Homegrown.

1 comment:

Simple Mama said...

I chew on the cappings (like I would a piece of gum) when I have sore throat. Sore throat be gone!