Thursday, May 03, 2007

Safe Food Act 2005, 2006, 2007

Ruby says to make food an issue in 2008. Well, I'm going to.

I found a piece of legislation that has been languishing in a committee since at least 1999. It was written to address many of the issues I see as important here. Had it been made into law back then, it might have contained the recent contamination cases better; if not prevented them. And we wouldn't be reading joint statements from a few of the numerous government agencies responsible for the safety of our food. That's because the Safe Food Act would create one Food Safety Administration (FSA).

I've just begun to explore this route for action. It may not turn out to be the best route, but it's one I'm going to focus on. I'll update as I become more informed.

In the mean time, here's the bill:

Senate version:
S. 654: Safe Food Act of 2007

House version:
H. R. 1148: Safe Food Act of 2007


It's my intention to write to the presidential candidates, as well as my state senators and representatives, to ask each of them where they stand on this bill.
________
Image of GovTracks.us from GovTrack.us.
GovTrack.us is an independent, non-partisan, non-commercial website created and maintained by Joshua Tauberer.

No comments: