Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dr. Ralph Cinque On Back Pain

I stumbled upon the blog of a Dr. Ralph Cinque. I don’t know him. From what I can tell, he sells supplements, lots of them. And he runs a health retreat in Texas. I’m wary of health advice that’s linked to direct sales. Nonetheless, I’ve been enjoying Dr. Cinque’s Blog.

His last post was on the role of diet and nutrition in back pain. Here’s how he summed it up:
“So, if you want to avoid back problems, first, learn how to use your back correctly, and the state-of-the-art method for doing that is the Alexander Technique. Second, get lean and stay lean because it reduces pressure on your back. Third, don’t smoke. Fourth, eat a diet that keeps your arteries clear and your blood flowing, which, to my mind, means a plant-based diet emphasizing fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and legumes, and not much of anything else. And let’s face it: if you eat an ample amount of all of the above-mentioned foods, you are not going to have much room left (in your stomach) for anything else. After all, how much food can you eat? Maybe occasionally eat a good piece of fish- if you can get it. Maybe, occasionally, have a free-range, organic egg. But these, and all other animal foods, should be limited. Make plant foods the vast bulk of what you eat. That’s what I do. And my back is strong. Strong like bull.”
I’m not familiar with the Alexander Technique, but good posture and attention to how you use your body make sense. I like his diet advice. Although if there is inflammation, as there likely is with back pain, the pro-inflammatory omega-6 fats in nuts and seeds may be problematic.
________

No comments: