Monday, April 30, 2007

Make Food An Issue In The 2008 Election

Some opinions deserve a better stage. Ruby posted the following in comments. Ruby gets the stage:
"I, for one, would like our food supply to become an issue in the 2008 race for the presidency. I think there are several issues here:
  1. The lack of inspections/standards when it comes to imported food.
  2. The larger percentage of corn being grown for ethanol, not food (animal feed, more like).
  3. Global warming and the effects the cattle/beef industry has on it.
  4. The increased interest in getting food from organic and local sources. Personally, I would like to see us rethink how farm subsidies work and who should get them--this issue is being addressed in the House this year. Just imagine if the government subsidized farms to convert to organic and/or get started in a CSA. The way I see it, this is the way to save the family farms.
  5. Contamination of our food supply in general--e coli in spinach, salmonella in peanut butter, etc. I realize that we're never going to be safe 100% of the time, but it seems like we can do better than this. (Fanatic, I'm kind of fascinated that I've never seen the connection between grain-fed beef and this particular strain of e coli anywhere but on your blog. I really think if people knew what factory farming really is there would be a backlash.)
    [Here's the post I believe Ruby is referring to: Cows' Stomachs Harbor E. coli O157:H7 ... But They Didn't Used To]
It seems like many Americans are realizing they have no idea where their food comes from, and that realization is really scary. We're so careful in so many other aspects of our lives--car safety, anti-bacterial everything, etc. It's crazy that we wouldn't put the same amount of thought into the food we eat. So, to the 2008 candidates, all 200 of you, I'm waiting!"

- Ruby

No comments: