Sunday, January 09, 2005

My Random Access (Boxed) Database

I'm making braised lamb shanks for dinner tonight. So, possibly, are 7 out of the last 20 people who visited this site, owing to some combination of "lamb", "shanks", and "braised" appearing in search terms from my referral list.

I haven't been running this site for long, but I've begun to find it indispensable for recipes of dishes I make often. I used to rummage through a shoe box full of recipes on pieces of paper ... torn from magazines, dashed off on index cards, collected from mass mailings for publications I'd be too embarrassed to let my mailman see I subscribe to. (It's remarkable the things a mailman can come to know about the people whose boxes he delivers to daily.) Whenever I remake a recipe, I try to note improvements or qualifications on that little piece of paper. So, sometimes a recipe will have its original 1 1/2 cups scratched out and replaced with 1 1/4 cups, which is scratched out and replaced with 1 3/4 cups, which is scratched out and replaced with the original 1 1/2 cups and some qualifier about how to change egg quantity with flour amount. Honest to god, I could barely read them after a few years. But now I come here. So far, I've been pretty conscientious about updating posts that weren't up to snuff. For the sake of my brimming recipe box, I hope I continue.

Must go. According to this shanks recipe, its time to add the carrots.

No comments: