- 2 tablespoons of olive oil have the same amount of saturated fat as is in 2 eggs or a cubic inch of cheddar cheese.
- The saturated fat in olive oil consists mostly of palmitic acid, the same saturated fatty acid found in meat, cheese, butter, and other dairy products.
If, for example, I was following the advice of the American Heart Association and keeping my saturated fat intake to below 7% of the day's calories, I would be eating less than 14 grams of saturated fat (for an 1800 calorie intake).
If I was eating:
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese (6g)
- 1 ounce potato chips (2g) (hydrogentated soybean oil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (4g)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (3g)
* Source: NutritionData: Olive Oil