Monday, June 18, 2012

Music: Bobby Darin, "If I Were A Carpenter"

I stumbled across Bobby Darin's version of Tim Hardin's song, "If I Were A Carpenter" yesterday. Riveting. It was recorded 9 months before he died in 1973. In the years preceding this recording...
"...his health was starting to fail, as he had always expected, following bouts of rheumatic fever in childhood. This knowledge had always spurred him on to exploit his musical talent while still young. He died at 37, following a heart operation in Los Angeles."
- Wikipedia: Bobby Darin



Darin is probably known best for his recording of "Mack the Knife" in 1958. Simon Cowell named "Mack the Knife" the best song ever written. And Frank Sinatra called Darin's the "definitive" version:


________

1 comment:

Angela and Melinda said...

Thanks for this, Bix. Takes me back, yes it does! Though I always hated Mack the Knife.