2. Hold your breath for a count of 7.
3. Exhale through your mouth ("whoosh") to a count of 8.
Repeat for 4 breath cycles. The speed of the cycle is not as important as the ratio 4/7/8, with the exhale being the longest.
Takes less than 2 minutes. Do twice a day.
Dr. Weil demonstrates. Skip to 3:14 for the actual breathing:
- Helps you fall asleep.
- Helps you get back to sleep if you wake during the night.
- Lowers blood pressure, over time.
- Helps with cravings.
- Helps with anxiety and panic attacks. (Weil: "You cannot be anxious and breathe deeply and slowly at the same time.")