Saturday, September 24, 2011

LibreOffice

I was looking for a good Office suite. I'd been using MS Office 2003 for the longest time and was satisfied. But when I switched computers I never bothered to load it, using Google Docs and Spreadsheet instead. I liked them, and although I liked the ease of keeping my docs on the cloud (I use more than one computer and it made hopping around convenient) I was concerned about security.

Someone suggested I look into OpenOffice. It's free, downloadable, open source. But I read that Oracle, who owned it, started charging for some features. They ceased developing it in April of this year and handed it over to Apache in June. I didn't like the looks of that.

In the mean time, some of the original developers had broken off and started their own suite called LibreOffice. The two appear to be identical, for my humble uses at least. So I downloaded LibreOffice and have been using it for a few days. (It's useful on Ubuntu too. In fact, the crew who started LibreOffice were publicly encouraged by RedHat and Canonical, as well as Google.)

I'm very pleased so far. Has anyone else used it?
________

No comments: