Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Didn't Realize Search Results Were So Filtered

This new search engine, Duck Duck Go, describes how search engines return different results to different people. I'll be:

Don't Bubble Us

I must say, I'm really creeped out by all these results in my hometown when I don't voluntarily disclose where I'm from. And those location widgets I see on people's blogs. I guess they use the computer's IP address.

On a related note, one time I was looking for shoes at Zappos and suddenly everywhere I went those exact same shoes from Zappos, that I never even bought, were showing up on all these other sites, like a weather page! What if it was a gift? I mean, I can't delete my cookies after every site I land on.

Here's their search engine:


________

2 comments:

Perovskia said...

Yes. I dislike how much we're tracked. Not much can be helped. I think I posted something on G+ about privacy/cookies/websites. You'll have to read it if you haven't yet.

I'm not sure there's a way around it.

Dave Lull said...

According to Google, you can disable customization or personalization of searches:

http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=54048