Friday, July 29, 2011

You See Green, I See Grey

How we perceive the world is largely up to us, that is, to how our brain interprets sensory input.

In his book, The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist’s Quest For What Makes Us Human, V.S. Ramachandran says:
“Sensation is inherently subjective and ineffable: You know what it “feels” like to experience the vibrant redness of a ladybug’s shell, for instance, but you could never describe that redness to a blind person, or even to a color-blind person who cannot distinguish red from green. And for that matter, you can never truly know whether other people’s inner mental experience of redness is the same as yours.”

________
I've been playing around with WordPress: Bix Weber. I may double-post for a while. I may choose one over the other in the future. Who knows.

1 comment:

Angela and Melinda said...

I LOVE this! I've been preaching this to my students for decades, and also have written about it in published essays on art. You can never "step outside" your body to check whether your perception of reality matches "real reality," or even know if there's a "real reality" out there beyond your sensations! When I had good students, this used to blow their minds. Of course the current young crop are too busy texting in class to listen to silly old me.