Monday, December 08, 2008

Beet That

I'd like to thank virginia for this gentle reminder:
Brilliant Beets: A Fresh Look At An Old World Root

Cancer:
"The compound that gives beets their characteristic hue, betacyanin, has proven to be a cancer-fighting agent, especially against colon cancer."

"Beetroot extract has been shown to inhibit the growth of tumors, thereby preventing chemically induced cancers of the liver, skin, spleen, and lungs."
Heart disease:
"Beet-rich diets have led to benefits in cholesterol levels. In one study, total cholesterol dropped 30 percent, while HDL, or "good" cholesterol increased significantly."

"Betaine, a substance found abundantly in beets, reduces markers of chronic inflammation, which damages blood vessels and can lead to conditions including heart disease, Alzheimer's, and Type-2 diabetes."
Liver:
"Betaine ... may help protect against fatty deposits in the liver, such as those that result from chronic alcohol use. Studies have shown that diets high in beets increase the activity of two detoxifying enzymes in the liver, which protect liver cells from free radical attack."
It's back to beets.
________
Photo: me. That went right into the oven this morning (wrapped in foil, 310ºF, 1 hour) along with an assortment of potatoes and squash. I think I do most of my cooking at 4:30 a.m. What can I say, I'm an early riser.

No comments: