- Toast 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa in a dry skillet on low heat until it turns slightly brown and smells like popcorn.
- Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil, dump toasted quinoa in, reduce to lowest heat, cook for 5 minutes with lid ajar, stir, cook an additional 5 minutes with lid completely covering pot. A 1 or 1.5 quart saucepan is a good size.
- Stir, make sure all water has boiled off or been absorbed, recover and let sit away from heat for 5 minutes more.
- Finely dice celery, onions, and carrots, about 1 tablespoon each. Lightly steam mirepoix over a pot of boiling water, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add steamed vegetables to fluffed quinoa. Season with a teaspoon of tamari and salt to taste.
I only know what mirepoix is because a food store near me sold bags of it around Thanksgiving last year. Wikipedia says Mirepoix (pronounced meer-pwah) is a French culinary term for a mixture of diced celery, onions, and carrots.