- Extend unemployment insurance benefits.
- Increase Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly Food Stamp) benefits.
Click for larger.
- Historian Howard Zinn says we need to increase purchasing power for lower income Americans.
- Representative Barney Frank (D-MA) says "we have to prop up consumption" for lower income Americans.
- Former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich says we should "extend unemployment benefits."
- Fed Chairman Bernanke says "consideration of a fiscal package by the Congress at this juncture seems appropriate."
- And even though Bush has frowned on another stimulus injection, after Bernanke's call, "the White House has said that President Bush would be ''open'' to ideas for a second stimulus package."
Map from: As Jobs Vanish And Prices Rise, Food Stamp Use Nears Record, New York Times, March, 2008.