I found this study while browsing the research:
Red Meat Intake and Risk of Breast Cancer Among Premenopausal Women (November, 2006)
- Study population: 90,659 premenopausal women from the famous Nurses Health Study II
- Women were followed for 12 years
- Intake assessed through food frequency questionnaires
"Higher red meat intake may be a risk factor for [estrogen dependant] breast cancer among premenopausal women."
For 1 to 3 servings a week:1
- Beef and lamb increased risk by 33%
- Hot dogs increased risk by 43%
- Hamburgers increased risk by 71%
- Pork increased risk by 81%
As Taubes might say, this doesn't prove anything. But it certainly gives me pause.
Painting, watercolor, "Study for American Girl" by James Brantley