Tuesday, January 11, 2005

My Spanish Clementine

I hope, I hope, these are better than last year's. The price was right: $4.99 for a 5 lb / 2.3 kg crate, holding 24 fruits. The appearance was ok, even better than just ok. They had a LOT of them, stacked up on an island by themselves, so I guess they were reasonably fresh. Still, I was fooled by these traits last year.

I like clementines. They're small, totable, easily peeled, easily sectioned, and have no seeds. A cross between a tangerine and an orange, they're not as sweet as the latter and have, or you might expect them to have, a little bite like the former. For all these reasons they make a great addition to recipes, e.g. stir fries and salads. But I bought them to eat out-of-hand.

Excuse me while I see what's inside ...

Ohh...
Oh my darling, oh my darling,
Oh my Spanish clementine,
You're not lost or gone forever,
Here's to this year's clementine.

No comments: